Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Tuitorial 6


Evaluating Wikipedia

Is this article accurate?

This article is accurate, a lot of information that I was unsure of due to my knowledge of this particular subject was not as good as I thought.


Does it cover all the basic facts that you’d need to understand this topic?

This article is jam packed of a valuable basic and advanced facts; it is topic that many people no a lot about so there is the element of having a lot of people being able to add to it, however there would normally be a major down fall with that, people wanting to put their 2 cents worth in, but because it is a scientific subject (process) it comes down to the fact that the knowledge of this subject is very detailed but universal.

Does this article follow the wikipedia guidelines for a useful article?

This article follows the guidelines for a useful article. In the General Guidelines, it abides by the article size, updating of pages, building on the web and it provides an edit summary. As far as Content goes it has notability, it sources through wikisource, it does not confuse or have text that have no meaning, it has cite sources and they are appropriately referenced. Classification in this article is well done, sub pages are made to organize the load of information there is, subtitles such as process, chemicals, uses, history, digital, analogue, art and technique are just some of them. The editors are of scholarly background but also some of passion for this hobby or job. There is a discussion page and the behaviours such as etiquette and profanity are hit head on.


Is this article fair and balanced, or is it biased towards a particular side or argument?


This article is not biased in any way, even people who hate this topic can not argue with the facts and process. It is a good old fashions informative piece that leaves you feeling fulfilled with all your questions answered.

What changes would you make to the article to improve it and make it useful for the wider wikipedia community?

In my honest opinion I would not change anything, obviously I am not as yet of scholarly status, so I feel as if my editing would be somehow bias to my love for this particular subject and hobby. As I do it for leisure and work all I have is my own personal knowledge and for a blog that is acceptable but I believe wikipedia is actually becoming more scholarly focused and I would not want to depreciate this quality. The wider community all have an element of this subject in their blood, I don’t know anyone who has never had an affiliation with this hobby/job, so no need to make it more helpful or useful to the wider community.

No comments: